On Friday morning’s edition of Fox & Friends, the program’s anchors spent several segments “reporting” on the remarks of Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) concerning the reading of the US Constitution on the floor of the House. While their interpretation of his statement that he’s “tired of reading the Constitution” was, perhaps, unfair, their assertion that he “called the Constitution silly” was factually inaccurate. Does the “opinion/news” border fence at Fox entitle Fox & Friends to their own facts?
Cannot embed video. See video here…
McDermott’s remarks, even without any surrounding context, are pretty clear. When he says “I am tired of reading the Constitution and all the silly things we have done for the last 13 weeks,” he’s clearly referring to the gimmicky nature of the Republicans’ insistence upon reading the US Constitution into the record at the beginning of the 112th Congress, a reading that omitted any reference to slavery, or to any parts of the document whose pages were stuck together.
More broadly, the “silly things” includes, as he says in the next sentence, all of the non-job-related wastes of time that the GOP-controlled House has engaged in, such as an ill-fated attempt to redefine rape, an extra swearing-in ceremony necessitated by two of its members taking their oath via TV, and their recent attempt to circumvent Schoolhouse Rock. Continue reading…
- Outrage du Jour: Dem Rep says he’s tired of reading the Constitution (hotair.com)
- Democrat Congressman Says He’s Sick of Reading the Constitution (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Liberal media watchdog defends McDermott’s Constitution comment (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Pity the folks in Washington’s 7th District (bokertov.typepad.com)
- U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott plans West Seattle ‘coffee hour’ (westseattleblog.com)
- 1st report: Coffee crowd with Congressmember McDermott (westseattleblog.com)
- Illegal Kenyan Donald Trump Gets Job On ‘Fox & Friends’ (wonkette.com)
- You Saw This Coming: Fox News Announces ‘Mondays With Trump’ On Fox & Friends (mediaite.com)