There is no rational explanation for what the far right is doing to turn back the clock to a time in our history that no one but the fat cat corporations want to revisit. Cheap labor via lower wages and child labor is a thing of the past and needs to remain a thing of the past. So, having said that, what’s next, bringing back slavery?
LD 1346 suggests several significant changes to Maine’s child labor law, most notably a 180-day period during which workers under age 20 would earn $5.25 an hour.
The state’s current minimum wage is $7.50 an hour.
Rep. David Burns, R-Whiting, is sponsoring the bill, which also would eliminate the maximum number of hours a minor over 16 can work during school days.
Burns’ bill is particularly insidious, because it directly encourages employers to hire children or teenagers instead of adult workers. Because workers under 20 could be paid less than adults under this GOP proposal, minimum wage workers throughout Maine would likely receive a pink slip as their twentieth birthday present so that their boss could replace them with someone younger and cheaper. Read more…
- Maine Republicans Want To Weaken Child Labor Laws (alan.com)
- Maine Keeps the Teabag Hits A-Comin’ (slog.thestranger.com)
- Ohio Union Busting Bill Passes, Maine Moves to Kill Child Labor Protections (lezgetreal.com)
- Missouri State Senator Wants To Eliminate Child Labor Laws (alan.com)
- Back To The Past- Missouri Lawmaker Wants To Abolish Child Labor Laws (pinkbananaworld.com)
- What Do Republicans Have Against Child Labor Laws? (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- WGME 13 Top Stories – Republicans propose more hours, lower wages for teens (oronomidhilib.wordpress.com)