The madness of King Scott Walker of Fitzwalkerstan!
The administration of Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI) has begun implementing its controversial new law curtailing public employee unions, following a move on Friday declaring it be in effect, and despite a judge’s ruling that enjoined said implementation.
“It is now my legal responsibility to begin enactment of the law,” Secretary of Administration Mike Huebsch, a former Republican state Assembly Speaker, told reporters, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Huebsch said that the state will begin withholding pension and health benefits contributions from government employees’ paychecks, while also no longer automatically deducting union dues. The first paychecks to be affected will be April 21.
A week and a half ago, a judge in Dane County (Madison) blocked the law on procedural grounds, ruling that a key conference committee used to advance the bill — and to get around the state Senate Dems’ walkout from the state — had violated the state open-meetings law by failing to give proper 24-hours notice. The judge’s order “restrain[ed] and enjoin[ed] the further implementation” of the law, including the prevention of Secretary of State Doug LaFollette (D) from publishing the act in the Wisconsin State Journal, which acts as the state’s official newspaper for the purpose of giving the public official notice of new laws — the final step for the law to take effect. That decision is now going through an appeals process, which remains up in the air. Read more…
- State stops collecting union dues, starts charging more for health care – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (news.google.com)
- With Uncertainty Over Wisc. Union Bill, Schools Hold Off On Teacher Contracts (huffingtonpost.com)
- Wis. contract talks stall amid union law fight (sfgate.com)
- Wis. schools told to hold off on new contracts (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Oh my: Wisconsin collective bargaining law officially published – despite judge’s TRO (hotair.com)
- Wisconsin Implements Collective Bargaining Law (khassy2010.wordpress.com)
- Court Restraining Order Ignored: Wisconsin Anti-Collective Bargaining Bill Published Anyway (themoderatevoice.com)
- Wis. union law published despite court order (msnbc.msn.com)
- Gambits Abound In Wisconsin Union Fight (huffingtonpost.com)
- Union law published despite restraining order – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (news.google.com)