Former Minnesota Governor and potential 2012 Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty appeared at a Tea Party summit in Arizona Saturday and repeated, word for word, a birther joke that he used just a few weeks ago.
“Now, I’m not one who questions the existence of the president’s birth certificate,” he said, according to the New York Times. “But when you listen to his policies, don’t you at least wonder what planet he’s from?”
During this year’s annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington D.C. earlier this month, Pawlenty rolled out the joke for the first time, drawing some laughs from the crowd.
Despite the comedic faux-pas, Pawlenty’s material wasn’t entirely stale in Arizona. In an effort to channel folk hero and aspiring national politician Jimmy McMillan of New York’s “The Rent Is Too Damn High Party,” Pawlenty pushed his smaller government message, telling the crowd, “The government’s too damn big.”
- Tim Pawlenty Recycles Birther Joke At Arizona Tea Party Summit (alternet.org)
- To Tea Party, Pawlenty Pans ‘Triangle of Greed’ – MyFox Washington DC (news.google.com)
- Tim Pawlenty’s Tea Party Try-Out: Potential 2012er To Address Tea Party Patriots Summit (blogs.abcnews.com)
- Tea party uses US summit to scope out 2012 role – WRAL.com (news.google.com)
- Pawlenty Scores Keynote at Tea Party Summit (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Tea Party summit weighs 2 possible ’12 hopefuls (sfgate.com)
- Tim Pawlenty 2: Revenge Of The Fallen Tim Pawlenty has another… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Tea Party summit sizes up 2012 election (cbsnews.com)