New media’s role in Egypt was a little overrated – how much tweeting and facebooking was actually done when the dictator could just shut off the internet?
But could new media’s role in Wisconsin be underrated? From which news organization do you think I’m cribbing this most impressive shot most fully capturing the impact of the latest 70,000+ protest in the snow in Madison? ABC? CNN? FOX?
Correct, none of the above.
This is from the twitter feed of Kevin Kopplin. Not to say mainstream media is completing whiffing on today’s latest outpouring of Democracy (see The Wisconsin State Journal) – just the national media.
If your minimum daily requirement for cliches isn’t fulfilled by ‘the story this photo tells you’, there’s a more metaphorical version later on, plus a literally unbelievable follow-up to the case of the Georgia Congressman who either chuckled or stared blanks when he was asked who was going to shoot the President.
- 100K Turn Out In Madison For Largest Rally Since Vietnam War (crooksandliars.com)
- In partial defense of the Wisconsin State Journal’s bad… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Nearly 70,000 rally in Wisconsin (americablog.com)
- Madeline Janis: Wisconsin Is the World (huffingtonpost.com)
- Unlikely Wisconsin Protesters: A ‘Miracle on the Hudson’ Co-Pilot and a Camel (newsfeed.time.com)
- Wisc. Teachers Who Protested In Madison Docked Pay, Disciplined (huffingtonpost.com)
- Wisconsin Teachers Get Layoff Warnings (newser.com)
- How did the Wisconsin protests happen? Who did what when? How did we get here? A timeline. (althouse.blogspot.com)