But that’s just part of the story. The plot thickens…
Did Tucker Carlson perpetrate a hoax by posing as Keith Olbermann in a series of emails?
On Tuesday afternoon, a set of emails surfaced on the Philadelphia news site Phawker. Phawker said that the emails showed the “100% for real” correspondence between Olbermann and Philadelphia Daily News columnist Stu Bykofsky over the weekend. In the emails, “Olbermann” talks about his boss, MSNBC President Phil Griffin, in hyperbolic, insulting terms.
In one email, “Olbermann” says that Griffin is “not my boss (thank god), nor is he intellectually qualified to be…I’ll be anchoring on election night 2012, long after Phil Griffin has moved on to a job for which he’s actually qualified, perhaps on QVC.”
In another, “Olbermann” writes that “I could have Phil Griffin fired tomorrow if I felt like it, trust me. And if he keeps yapping about me in public, I may. For the moment, however, keeping Phil around is like having a drunk chimp in the office — more amusing than threatening.”
The incendiary emails seemed too good to be true — and, as it turns out, they were. The emails from “Olbermann” came from firstname.lastname@example.org. That’s an address that is not owned by Olbermann, but by Tucker Carlson, conservative pundit and editor of the Daily Caller website. In July, Carlson announced that he had purchased the domain name KeithOlbermann.com, and told Politico that people could email him at Keith@KeithOlbermann.com — the same address that the emails to Bykofsky came from.
Once people raised their suspicions about the authenticity of the emails, Olbermann quickly denied that he had any involvement in them. “Complete fake,” he tweeted. “Email address shown not mine.” Bykofsky and Phawker both acknowledged that they had been hoaxed.
The only one who hasn’t spoken out? Carlson himself.
- Tucker Carlson Pranks Columnist Using Fake Keith Olbermann Email Address (mediaite.com)
- Tucker Carlson Has Some Fun at Keith Olbermann’s Expense (observer.com)
- Is Tucker Carlson Sending Out Fake Keith Olbermann Emails? [Pranks] (gawker.com)
- Daily Caller Idiot Tucker Carlson Sent Around Phony Olbermann Emails (oliverwillis.com)
- Keith Olbermann Falls Victim to Cybersquatting Prank by Tucker Carlson (dailyfinance.com)
- Tucker Carlson Owns Keith Olbermann Website And Email Address (nowpublic.com)