Republican candidate for governor Carl P. Paladino told a gathering in Williamsburg Sunday that children should not be “brainwashed” into thinking that homosexuality is acceptable, and criticized his opponent, Democrat Andrew M. Cuomo, for marching in a gay pride parade earlier this year.
Addressing Orthodox Jewish leaders, in Williamsburg, Mr. Paladino described his opposition to same-sex marriage.
“That’s not how God created us,” he said, reading from a prepared address. “I just think my children and your children would be much better off and much more successful getting married and raising a family, and I don’t want them brainwashed into thinking that homosexuality is an equally valid and successful option — it isn’t.”
And then, to applause from the group at Congregation Shaarei Chaim, he said: “I didn’t march in the gay parade this year — the gay pride parade this year. My opponent did and that’s not the example we should be showing our children.”
Newsday.com reported that Mr. Paladino’s prepared text also included a sentence saying: “There is nothing to be proud of in being a dysfunctional homosexual.” But Mr. Paladino omitted that statement when he gave the speech.
About an hour after Mr. Paladino’s remarks, Mr. Cuomo’s campaign released a statement condemning them..
“Mr. Paladino’s statement displays a stunning homophobia and a glaring disregard for basic equality,” it said. “These comments along with other views he has espoused make it clear that he is way out of the mainstream and is unfit to represent New York.”
Mr. Paladino declined a request to be interviewed after his appearance. His campaign manager, Michael R. Caputo, denied that Mr. Paladino was anti-gay, and noted that he employed an openly gay man on his campaign staff.
“Carl Paladino is simply expressing the views that he holds in his heart as a Catholic,” Mr. Caputo said in a telephone interview. “Carl Paladino is not homophobic, and neither is the Catholic Church.” Continue reading…
- Carl Paladino: ‘Nothing to Be Proud of in Being a Dysfunctional Homosexual’ [Elections] (gawker.com)
- Paladino accused of homophobia after anti-gay rant (nydailynews.com)
- NY GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Carl Paladino Calls Gays “Dysfunctional” (alan.com)
- NY GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Paladino Attacks Homosexuality As Dysfunctional (lezgetreal.com)
- Carl Paladino In Blast At Gays: ‘Nothing To Be Proud Of In Being A Dysfunctional Homosexual’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Paladino Strikes Again II: Calls Gays “Dysfunctional” (themoderatevoice.com)
- Carl Paladino: Children Shouldn’t Brainwashed Into Homosexuality (joemygod.blogspot.com)