Wikileaks Founder Has Massacre Video?

Daily Beast

Julian Assange, who Pentagon investigators fear may soon release State Dept. secrets, denies having them—but says he’s readying video of a deadly U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan.

After several days underground, the founder of the secretive website Wikileaks has gone public to disclose that he is preparing to release a classified Pentagon video of a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan last year that left as many as 140 civilians dead, most of them children and teenagers.

In an email obtained by The Daily Beast that was sent to Wikileaks supporters in the United States Tuesday, Julian Assange, the website’s Australian-born founder, also defends a 22-year-old Army intelligence specialist who is now under arrest in Kuwait on charges that he leaked classified Pentagon combat videos, as well as 260,000 State Department cables, to Wikileaks.

“Mr. Manning allegedly also sent us 260,000 classified US Department cables, reporting on the actions of US Embassy’s [sic] engaging in abusive actions all over the world,” Assange said in an email. “We have denied the allegation, but the US government is acting as if the allegation is true.”

American officials have said they are eager to determine the whereabouts of Assange, who canceled an appearance last Friday in Las Vegas, to discourage him from releasing any more classified information on his website, which is nominally based in Sweden and promotes itself as a global resource for whistleblowers. As recently as two weeks ago, Assange, who first gained global notoriety as a computer hacker, was in his native Australia.

In April, his website posted a copy of a classified Pentagon video of a 2007 American helicopter attack in Baghdad in which a dozen people were killed; that video is also believed to have been leaked by the Army intelligence analyst, Specialist Bradley Manning of Potomac, Maryland.

While denying again that Wikileaks has the State Department cables, Assange acknowledges in the email today that he is in custody of the May 2009 video that shows the airstrike on the Afghan village of Garani, believed to be the most lethal combat strike in Afghanistan—in terms of civilian deaths—since the United States invaded the country in 2001. Assange writes that “we are still working on” preparations for release of the video of “the Garani massacre.”

The State Department and Pentagon did not immediately comment on Assange’s email message.  Continue reading…

2 Comments

Filed under Julian Assange, State Department, Wikileaks

2 responses to “Wikileaks Founder Has Massacre Video?

  1. LongTimeLurker

    I believe the recent leaks of old news about the untapped mineral resources in Afghanistan was designed to soften the public outrage over the wanton death and destruction. I guess the idea is when you’re trying to steal that much good stuff you have to tolerate some civilian carnage.

    Like this

  2. LTL, you might be on to something. Polls show that most Americans don’t want to know or hear anything about the two Gulf wars raging in the Middle East.

    I think the media, and rightfully so, hypes the injustice of mass killings of civilians to bring awareness to what’s happening over there. I’m all for publicizing the atrocities and waking up a nonchalant populus.

    The problem is, the media rants and raves for a few days and when the polls show that Americans don’t care, they drop the story from their news cycles. That’s usually about 2.5 days.

    So for that reason, WikiLeaks may be more beneficial to our international adversaries than to us. Hence, I understand the “national security” concern…from that aspect.

    Like this